About Darcylea Design

Friday, June 27, 2008

Why, Oh Why Can't I?

Okay, well with the work that I have been doing in preparation for my graduation reception in a couple of weeks, I decided to play off of it for my blog. I am actually working on a campaign that will include two different posters, some notecards, 3"x3" business cards, and some other fun little goodies. The pieces feature fun and bright colors that I love using in my work. I also illustrated a fun and crazy little blue bird. While thinking of blue birds and something catchy to go with it, I thought of the song, "Over the Rainbow" and about "...if happy little bluebirds fly beyond the rainbow...Why, oh why can't I?" And I thought- "THAT'S IT!" I mean, here I am, a graduate with all these crazy ideas, creative madness thriving in the very core of me and the limitless possibilities. So that leads me to..."Why, oh why can't I?" Why can't I push my creative abilities? Why can't I do what I truly want to do? Why can't I show people what I am capable of? Why can't I prove to myself that I have what it takes...OH the rebel in me sees that question and says, "Bring it on!" LOL

So I have adopted this bird and this theme...."Why, Oh why can't I?" but I have to share another funny connection to it. Most who really know me well know that I have a secret collection of Wizard of Oz memorabilia. I won't say that I seek the stuff out. At one time, I suppose I did. I thought it would be really cool & completely wicked to decorate my kitchen with a Wizard of Oz theme. I had always liked the Wizard of Oz as a child. I love poppies. I always wanted a pair of those ruby slippers. (But what little girl didn't, right?!) And so to have something so crazy as the Wicked Witch of the East's legs sticking out from under my dishwasher was just a riot of an idea. But alas- I soon discovered that my ideas weren't all that unique to have a Wizard of Oz kitchen and so I ended up not doing it. (I wanted to be the only one with a cool Wizard of Oz kitchen, you know!) And, despite that I no longer have that desire to collect the stuff, my mom still picks up Wizard of Oz memorabilia for me anytime she ever runs across anything. So...I just thought it was fun to twist that little tidbit into my birdy design. LOL I know my mom would appreciate that at least!

No comments: