About Darcylea Design

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Okay, NOW I have iPad envy!


I will admit that I've wanted an iPad for quite some time. Well, since they came out, actually. But I just couldn't ever justify spending the money on what seemed like a big iTouch. I have an iTouch. Love it. It's my most favorite gadget I own. I use it every single day for so many different things. When I'm lazy and don't feel like sitting behind a computer at home, I'll use it to check email or social networking. But I use it for other things, too. Recipes, games, calculator, address book, to take photos (and I have a lot of different really cool camera apps!), even record videos. I also have my music on there as well as a few movies and tv shows. But even with the justification of how much I use my iTouch and how handy it is, I just haven't been able to bring myself to splurge on an iPad. One of the biggest drawbacks has been it's size. Why would I give up my handy iTouch that I can run with, stick in my pocket and go for something that would definitely be more cumbersome? I have relatives that own iPads. Even my mom has an iPad. The screens are bigger but other than that, to me they have just seemed like giant iTouches.

But lately, I have been hearing of more and more people investing in iPads to use at work with all of the new handy apps that are now available out there for multitude of things. People are using them to show portfolios. And today, I saw this video (below) of a guy using an app to sketch. And I mean REALLY sketch as if on paper...but with the functionality of a program like Photoshop with layers. There have been times where I have thought how handy it would be to be able to have "layers" in my sketchbook when I have tried something and wished I wouldn't have. There is no Ctrl+Z in a paper sketchbook. Wait, I take that back. There is...it's called an eraser. But there are times that even an eraser won't work. And it is THIS app...THIS functionality that has me sold. I want an iPad now. I have a multitude of sketchbooks laying around. I have never been one to use just one sketchbook and use it page by page to the very end. I've been more like grabbing a sketchbook, opening to a blank page and sketching. I have sticky notes and office memos with sketches and doodles all over. Wouldn't it be awesome if I were to utilize an iPad to take over? I could sketch on the iPad and if I want to take it further, I have it digitally ready....

The next dilemma...I need to start saving up now, don't I?!

No comments: