About Darcylea Design

Friday, March 6, 2009

HOW Design Conference: Market Place and a Few Other Mentionables

For quite a few months, I had been hoping that there would be some way for me to attend the HOW Design Conference this year, which is being held in Austin this coming June, but I wasn't sure that it would be possible. I have gone for the past two years and have had to pay 100% of it out of my own pocket. I have to admit that while I am glad that I have had the opportunity to go, I can't help but feel some envy for those who have been able to ride on the corporate dime. But at the same time, I also feel that this is an investment that I am making in myself...and because of that, I feel committed to getting as much as I possibly can out of the conference and finding some way to apply it. I can honestly say that I feel that I have come a long way since the first time I attended the conference. I am now done with school and focusing more on some goals I have set for myself that I want to accomplish. I won't say that I am there yet, but I am closer to reaching them now than I was a couple of years ago and even a year ago. I think I have more focus on what I really want to do and a roadmap as to how I might be able to get there. My biggest issues are procrastination and biting off more than I can chew most of the time. But I think that I am getting better....

Anyhow, the point of this post was really to talk about how I WILL be able to go to the HOW Design Conference this year and will be participating in the Designer's Marketplace with my designer friend, Kelly Parke. (Read our interview here!) Kelly and I worked on a project together over the past several months and will be setting up shop selling the kits there. (You can also find out more information about the kits here.) I will also be selling stationery and some other misc. stuff at our table, as well.


I also started setting up my Etsy shop last night and even though I still have more to do, I am feeling as though I am starting to get some place and getting closer to some of the goals I have set for myself. It's exciting! I plan to get some stuff listed this next week, so if you have a chance, check it out! I have been working with just some random illustrations that I have done but I am going to start focusing on things like color palettes, bringing in some textile to my work, creating not just cards but stationery sets, timeless calendars, memo pads, notebooks, etc. I'm telling you...I have big plans!!!!

No comments: